Translate

Saturday 18 November 2006

RIP: George Blackburn, MC

The news item gives the big picture, but I had the chance to meet him a few weeks ago. I consider myself fortunate to have had the opportunity, and men of his generation are passing quickly these days. I've had the chance to meet a number of WW2 veterans, (my grandfathers included of course) and if any of you are interested in a more active connection with that bit of history I suggest you talk to some of these guys before the opportunity passes forever.

George's books are highly recommended (and not just by me), and tell a remarkable story of a normal man who managed to beat the odds of a very dangerous front-line job (Artillery Forward Observation Officer or FOO) and survive longer in that position in NW Europe than pretty much anybody else. This is a link to an item on George and his wartime signaller Mel Squissato (whom I also had the pleasure to talk to a few weeks back) in The Netherlands last year.

He had a good run, and had a lot of "fans" in the Canadian military and elsewhere, so I'd say it was a life well-lived and he departed on as good a note as possible. The memorial service is in Ottawa today, and although I can't be there I'm sure it will be well attended. He will be remembered, as will all of our soldiers who didn't (and won't) make it home, just as George himself wished.

No comments: