Translate

Sunday 22 April 2007

Hiatus Alert, again.

I"ll be out of Internet range for the rest of this month and all of May, so my readers are forewarned.

I didn't see to much this past week that inspired a rant, but that's not because nothing happened. The Virginia Tech Massacre alone was pretty nasty, but it's one of those things that will happen. The on-again debate about gun control in the US promises to be unpleasant, but in a country where there is a viable lobby encouraging MORE guns for honest citizens, it's at least a balanced fight.

This is one of those things that I'm pretty ambivalent about; yes, one student with a concealed handgun on campus that day could have made a big (positive) difference, but that puts a lot more guns into situations that on any other day, would have no guns in them. That at least is the argument I make against having Air Marshals with guns on flights, as that guarantees there will be a gun on the plane. After 9/11 airline restrictions, I challenge anyone to take over a plane with what they can get on board. I'm not actually challenging you to try that of course...

Guns are a very polarizing topic, and since I almost never get any comments on this (and I know who leaves the few that I get) I won't bother trying to stir up any debate. Insane people are like acts of nature, and they will happen to some degree or another regardless of the laws already passed, let alone those that will be rammed through in a panic after something like this. Or like the Dawson College rampage last year; that was in Canada, which has pretty restrictive gun laws which were broken by the freak who perpetrated it.

On a less controversial (perhaps) note, I've started using Firefox for most of my web browsing. I find that accessing this site is vastly smoother with it, and I think a lot of other pages are loading faster than with IE 7. Now that I've taken my life in my hands with that declaration, I'm off. See you in June, end of May if I'm lucky.

No comments: