Translate

Wednesday 1 August 2007

'Nuff said.

This article from Slate by Christopher Hitchens deals with how certain parties are demanding we all give up our rights to free speech (freedom varies by locality, of course) on pain of unlimited liability. [Hyperlink removed since it was dead; find it if you can because he's not dead yet and writes better than I do. 17 Jan 2011]

Unlimited liability means up to and including death, but I won't re-hash it; he does a pretty good job, so I suggest you read it yourself. It's not something most of us have had a direct experience with, but examples abound without looking too hard. This ties in loosely with my bit on that Aussie law from a few days ago, and it's something to keep an eye on.

I don't think it's at all classy to crap on peoples' holy books, but if that's all it takes to set off riots and generate a raft of death threats then I think there are some people with screwed up priorities and I for one don't want to be held hostage to that.

No comments: