Translate

Friday 22 May 2009

All is not lost. Yet.

OTTAWA -- The Supreme Court of Canada refused Thursday to hear arguments that Canadian troops in Afghanistan should apply the Charter of Rights in their dealings with prisoners.

That leaves it to the Military Police Complaints Commission to investigate whether foreign captives delivered to Afghan custody by Canadian troops are routinely tortured.

I really hope this comes as no surprise to anyone; it is, after all the CANADIAN Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and the last time I checked we hadn't taken Afghanistan over. I had my reservations about the Turks and Caicos joining Canada, but if I must make a choice...

Afghans, particularly ones that are trying to kill Canadian soldiers are, well, Afghans. They have their own government (and they're welcome to it!) to appeal to (ha!) if the ANA or ANP are mistreating them. It is not our troops doing anything untoward with them, it's their own people.

This of course opens questions about what kind of system are we propping up. I personally don't care what they do to each other, because you can see from what NATO (you know who I mean when I say that) is going through to try to hold the place together, that it's a hell of a lot of blood and treasure for little return.

I won't go back to that "well" right now, but I'll keep this short and just say that I'm happy that the idiots who'd like to flood our country and courts with all sorts of fellow (but different) idiots can't do it with these clowns. I might not mind so much letting a few in, as long as I could make them live with these Amnesty types. I'd be curious to see how many of these secular humanist idealists would still be pushing this idea if they had to be responsible for an illiterate Pashtun, etc. jihadi under their own roof. An interesting experiment to separate the real idealists at least...

No comments: