Translate

Tuesday 15 December 2009

Britain's no-longer-shocking decline continues apace.

This isn't the first time by a long shot that British courts have done this, but the incredible arrogance never ceases to enrage me.
JERUSALEM — Israel's prime minister on Tuesday called a British arrest warrant against the country's former foreign minister "an absurdity" and warned that attempts to prosecute Israeli officials for war crimes charges over last winter's Gaza offensive could harm relations between the two countries.
Could?  I'd yank my ambassador for something like this, but maybe I'm still cranky about fighting with City Hall over them extorting me on my property taxes.  No "maybe" about that in fact, but it makes this resonate even more:
Netanyahu rejected the notion that leaders and army officers "who defended our civilians bravely and morally against a despicable and brutal enemy could be branded war criminals. We firmly reject this absurdity."
The other side fires rockets from populated areas and YOU are the war criminal for shooting back?  Yes, that's the colour of the sky in a lot of the world these days.  In cases like this, what's important is what works,  and you will notice a lot less rocket attacks from Gaza since the IDF laid the smackdown on Hamas there.  I guess I'm a war criminal too; I'd better stay out of the U.K. in case they arrest me for agreeing with the Israelis.  I wish that sounded as far-fetched to me as it should, but:
Pro-Palestinian lawyers attempted earlier this year to invoke the "universal jurisdiction" law to arrest Gaza war mastermind Ehud Barak, Israel's defence minister, but his status as a Cabinet minister gave him diplomatic immunity.
In 2005, a retired Israeli general, Doron Almog, returned to Israel immediately after landing in London because he was tipped off that British police planned to arrest him. The warrant against Almog -- who oversaw the 2002 bombing of a Gaza home in which 14 people were killed along with a leading Palestinian militant -- was later cancelled.
Other Israeli leaders, including former military chief Moshe Yaalon and ex-internal security chief Avi Dichter, have also cancelled trips to Britain in recent years for the same reason.
   Hell, offer all the displaced persons in the Palestinian refugee camps British citizenship and send what's left of your martime resources to pick them up; that's where things are headed anyway.   I don't think I'll be renewing my Brit passport; I don't want to go down with the ship.  British history for me now ends at the outside in 1982, the last time a British government showed any backbone at all.  Lady Thatcher, I'm afraid that Britain is now a nation in headlong flight.  As a country these qualities are no longer to be seen:
Today we meet in the aftermath of the Falklands Battle. Our country has won a great victory and we are entitled to be proud. This nation had the resolution to do what it knew had to be done—to do what it knew was right.
The U.K. government really should rein these clowns in; an independant judiciary does not mean that you make a hash of international relations on behalf of narrow special-interest groups.  This is another example of democracies getting the governments they deserve.  I don't see any way out short of revolution, and I can't see THAT happening, despite abundant provocation.

It does seem that if you want to see the diametric opposite of what WILL be done by stupid, scared governments in the West, this blog continues to be a good resource.  That's all I can do for those who still care about making things work again.

No comments: