Translate

Monday 17 January 2011

Ricky Gervais and making omlettes

Way off my usual beat, but I thought I'd weigh in in defence of a beleaguered comic. I'm sure he doesn't need my help, but who in the entertainment business does? The subject is of course his hosting of the Gloden Globes last night, his second and assuredly last time doing it. I saw very little of it, but I think I know his general intention: don't be boring.

Comedian Ricky Gervais promised this year he would push the boundaries as he hosted the Golden Globes for a second time. "I think I'll go just close enough to the edge but not go over it," he said on the red carpet before the ceremony.

But by the end of the star-studded bash, many were left debating whether he had gone too far in his jibes at the gathered celebrities and even organisers the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA).

Of all of the nasty jokes he made the only one I that really think went over the (my) line was his crack at Robert Downey Jr.: "Many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail." Downey has fucked up a lot, but has managed to clean himself up and do really good work for years now. This sort of thing suggests some tone-deafness on Ricky's part, but you can't push the boundaries without going over from time to time.

Oh well. No-one seems to be making much of a deal about the death and blacklisting threats made after the show so hopefully he remains employable and breathing. In any event last night's performance won't be forgotten soon, and if he goes out at least he doesn't go like Billy Chrystal, the "safe" host of multiple years of award shows.

2 comments:

Keir said...

It's one thing to insult entertainers who are invited to come to a show honouring them. How about inviting Hu Jintao and using the time to insult him?

DHW said...

The Chinese gov't is remarkably lacking in the sense of humour department, and with the US in the shape it's in these days it's not likely to happen. Besides, how many entertainers have enough of a shimck about what goes on in China to make it interesting rather than ham-fisted and predictable (human rights, industry, etc.)?