Translate

Wednesday 26 October 2011

No good options

The IDF's operational forum will discuss a procedure which stipulates that the abduction of living soldiers must be prevented at any cost later this week in the backdrop of the Shalit prisoner exchange deal, Yedioth Ahronoth reported.

Since Shalit was released in exchange for 1,027
Palestinian prisoners Hamas has stressed that it will attempt to kidnap more soldiers in order to bring about the release of the remaining Palestinians held in Israel.

The IDF estimates the threat is concrete and has therefore briefed commanders on a series of preliminary actions which can help prevent kidnappings. IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz has also ordered that the commanders learn ways to actively thwart kidnappings, even at the expense of the kidnapped soldier's life.

There will be different opinions on this to say the least, but here's my $0.02: if it was me getting snatched by any of these groups (pretty much any group, really) I'd want my people to shoot the fuckers and I'd take my chances with that. Your odds of survival aren't great if taken, and I'd be damned if I'd be put in a position where hundreds of murderers could be exchanged for me. Besides, you might get lucky and only the bad guys get hit. Those odds are slim, but in that circumstance I'd take them. It's that or:

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
Go, go, go like a soldier,
Go, go, go like a soldier,
Go, go, go like a soldier,
So-oldier of the Queen!

No comments: