Translate

Saturday 26 August 2006

A Different Take

Props to the Sandmonkey (of all people) for this Jewish newsletter link.

I still hold that the war was a tactical failure for the IDF, but there are obviously people who feel that it is only a bump in the road. The Israelis are indeed a proud force with a lot of talented people and a LOT of motivation to finish the job, so I hope they take the lesson and are ready for next time.

Of course I lack the Int contacts to verify anything these (or pretty much any other) guys are saying here, but it sounds plausible. The stuff about the bunkers in South Lebanon is particularly interesting to me, as I wonder what the Israelis have done to root them out if they are in fact as prevalent as this article indicates. If I lacked the time/opportunity to destroy them, I’d just have the co-ordinates punched into the bunker busters that are hopefully waiting around for round 2…

I’ve seen some realpolitik stuff suggesting we use some more carrot than stick with the Syrians to unhinge Hizbollah’s logistics, and I concur. The Syrians have nothing to gain by advancing Iran’s agenda, and a lot to lose by giving either the Americans or Israelis a reason to take out or undermine the regime. I was also in favour of mending fences with Quadaffi in Libya years ago when he first started making an effort, but I’m a pragmatic guy. Libya does however show that it can be done, and something different is definitely needed. There remains the Golan thing, but I’ll just bury that fly deeper in the ointment for now.

No comments: