Translate

Wednesday 9 August 2006

Lucky it wasn't a retinal scanner...

I'm sick to death of all the mid-east stuff, so I'll hare off in another direction, and find as many others as I can so as not to get bogged down.

I like security for my stuff as much as the next guy, but you have to weigh the consequences of "fool proof" biometrics, as this article points out. Things are just things, and with the insurance you (should) have on big stuff, you can get another one. The article covers it quite well, but I thought it could use more circulation, as I've been saying something similar for a long time. Something to think about if you're looking to upgrade security.

If you had something that was worth your life to defend, something scanning your mental state or whatever might do the job, but the technology hasn't caught up with human ruthlessness adequately to achieve a balance. Protect those PINs people, it's the safest thing we've got...

No comments: