Translate

Tuesday 18 July 2006

All This From a Jehova's Witness...

Mickey Spillane, creator of the hardboiled detective Mike Hammer, died in South Carolina on Monday. He was 88.

He sold more than 100 million books, and Hammer inspired several TV series and movies. ... His books featured raw violence and sex, drawing condemnation from morality groups of the day. But they sold hugely, with lurid paperback covers often featuring a scantily dressed woman and a gun. CBC/AP

As a committed (ha!) agnostic, I'm not a fan of organized religion, but I'm always happy when people believe stuff and leave the rest of us alone about it. Spillane by all appearances did so, and should therefore (according to me, anyway) either rest peacefully or have a good time in whatever afterlife he may have believed in.

I'm not a big fan of his stuff, though I like my share of "pulps" but I do like people who entertain without beating me over the head with some not-so-hidden agenda.

For example, I used to think Angelina Jolie was the hottest thing since sliced bread. Well, I still think she looks good, but her relentless do-gooding has actually made her less appealing to me. In the interim, her place at the top of my notional "list" has been taken by Scarlett Johansson, because she's hot (and one of the few actresses in Hollywood who isn't a stick, but that's another rant) and whatever pet causes she has have yet to impinge on my blissful ignorance of anything other than that she looks good and seems to have a brain too. How's that for a run-on sentence?

That's all for now, but off that whole mid-east debacle at least.

No comments: